If you live in a colder climate, freezing water in your chicken drinkers can be a major worry. Here are few tips that will keep the water flowing especially if used in combination:
1) Bring the waterers inside at night. Chickens won't be wanting a drink in the middle of the night.
2) If possible re-fill the waterer daily and start with warm water
3) Cover or encase the drinker in black. Be it a black tub, some sort of cozy or otherwise insulate around the drinker Black absorbs heat during the day.
4) Don't use metal bowls. Metal loses heat quickly.
5) If you have access to electricity, you can purchase a heater for your drinkers. There are various types and designs but we like these 2 the best. They can be used with most any waterer, and can be removed and put away in storage during warmer months.
6) Place the waterer on cement blocks or paver in a sunny spot. The cement absorbs and radiates heat.